25 January 2014

Wow! Amazing.

Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.[1]

All my life I've heard wonderful stories of people who have needs, call out to God, and He supplies in a very personal way. But I've grown up in a family and nation where, though I've never been in wealth, I've never really been in want either.

We've had terrific storms here in Michigan this winter. A couple of weeks ago, we had snow falling so fast, that four or five times of clearing the drive was barely enough. That's when it happened, but without my asking.

The first snow dumped on a Monday. Because of the storm, I worked from home, so had the leisure of clearing the first wave myself.

Then I did it.

THE NEED SUPPLIED
Some recent injuries to my back weakened it so that the shoveling threw it into spasms. For the rest of the day, I lay working on the couch and babying it. That's when I heard the first of three or four times my neighbours revved up their snow blower and cleared my other neighbour's drive and my own. I lay with a mixture of guilt and thankfulness. God had provided when I had no way to provide for myself nor had yet grasped how desperate my situation would be if this need was not met.

My back continued to cause me various levels of pain the next couple weeks. The last several of days, I've finally felt the muscles easing, though not fully surrendering.

YET AGAIN
Another six inches of snow fell and covered my drive last night. I had not seen my neighbors yet this morning, so I began praying about how to clear my drive without irritating my back.

Not long after, I heard a knock on the door. Two young teenage boys asked if they could shovel my drive. In the past, I've always said no. For one, because I actually enjoy the exercise, and, two, I don't usually carry cash.

This time, I was three dollars shy of the $15 they suggested, but they graciously accepted it and did an amazing job clearing my walk, my steps, and my driveway in a very short amount of time (and it was heavy snow). I took out some hot chocolate and some chocolate mint candies and told one of the boys that they were an answer to prayer.

They were. I feel overwhelmed at how God provided, not only the answer for clearing my drive, but had provided enough cash to pay them (I really rarely carry cash!). Before I asked, He was already providing. And, He provided for me. Not a generic need for this area, but a specific request for my home.

GOD PROVIDES SO WE CAN ENJOY HIM
It may not seem like much to you, but when you're feeling at your weakest, that's when you realise the what is always true, though we rarely live as if we believe it—We are 100% incapable of living on our own; we are 100% at the mercy of God's grace.
"The enjoyment of God is the only happiness with which our souls can be satisfied. To go to heaven, fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant accommodations here. Fathers and mothers, husbands, wives, or children, or the company of earthly friends, are but shadows; but God is the substance. These are but scattered beams, but God is the sun. These are but streams, but God is the ocean." ~ Jonathan Edwards
If you bring in money and luxuries through your job, God provided. If you have enough or more than enough to eat, God provided. If you have warmth when it's cold and shelter from storms, God provided. If you have health to clear your own driveway, God provided.

If you think otherwise, God may bring you to a place where it is taken away, and you'll realise then, He's the only One on whom you can call.

I wish for all of us just enough times like these to begin habitually understanding, it's all about Him. He gets the praise for every comfort, supplied need, or enjoyment. And, He gets the cries for help when we feel unable to cope. It is all about Him. It's all enjoying our journey with Him. Enjoying Him.

 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. ~1 Peter 5:6-7

WOW! He cares for me, for you! He cares about every worry and anxiety of every individual. Isn't that amazing?

Do you have any stories of how God provided for you in a way that made you say, "Wow" and made you enjoy Him more? If so, please share them in the comments below. I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment