21 February 2010

You Were Meant for Me and I was Meant for You

I find it interesting that God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him," before Adam had sinned and while God and man were in a perfect relationship. I think God said it at this time for a couple of reasons.

One: We were made for community. No person was made to be an island. Community can be marriage or just friendship, but we need to be in communication with others.

Like many counterfeits, I think first TV and now social media have provided a false sense of community. Researches say that our emotions respond to familiar characters on TV the way they do when we see our friends. The problem with this false sense of companionship is the giving is all one-sided, and what we do get is not what we need.

We have substituted relational candy that is quick, sweet, and easy to throw out if we get tired of it, for the nutritious roughage that a real, physically-present friend can provide. It's safer to hide behind a changing profile picture than to expose ourselves to someone who may reject us. This "safety," however, stunts our growth.

Two: Being sovereign and knowing Adam would soon sin and break his relationship with Him, God provided a way for us to live out our salvation. Before sin, Adam and Eve walked physically in God's presence. When sin entered between them, although blood provided a way for them to still reach out for God, they could not, and we cannot, physically see Him. The danger then becomes easy to fool ourselves into a head religion with no actual love for God. The solution? If we love God, it comes out in our physical and emotional giving to...other people.

By example and continuous blatant teaching, Jesus showed us how we love God. We can love others, with a selfish love, and not love God, but we cannot love God and not love others.
Jesus said, “If you love me, you will obey what I command." John 14:15
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” ~John 13:34-35
I believe it's important that we not give up meeting together for this very reason. Going to church and gathering with friends for both worship and play is vital. We need to give and to receive. This cannot be done through an electronic arm only. We have real arms for real hugs.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts: disagreeing, agreeing or adding. Please feel free to share.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very well thought out concept, Katy. I had not thought of the creation of woman for man in quite that light before. I think it is a little curious that today friendships do not seem to be the same as they used to be. I'm generalizing I know, but it seems that many friendships center around people you golf with or have coffee with and don't seem to go much deeper. I have been reading the book John Adams and am struck with the depth of friendships back then, lasting friendships that transcended even serious disagreements. I think that it would be better for people today if there was more real friendships, friendships that challenged and encouraged 'as iron sharpens iron'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear your thoughts, Charae. You're right about friendships, oftentimes, not being very deep any more.

    I wonder if the constant change of society (moving, influences)impacts our trust in people, so we pull back from going too deep. If you invest a lot in a person, it hurts more when they pull away.

    You are your grandparents in Redding now?

    ReplyDelete